Jamaica is a world apart. Few locations on earth have been so graced with amazing natural beauty, wonderful climate, crystal clear water and rich culture. The Jamaicans say their land is the “biggest little island in the world. Indeed, one trip is not enough. To fully take in Jamaica you must travel there again and again. And why not? There are tropical rainforests, waterfalls, wonderful sand beaches, shimmering sands and a turquoise sea, a wide variety of resorts, and a culture with a rhythm all its own.
- Tourism in Jamaica is well established and the resort infrastructure is excellent with a wide variety of accommodations at every end of the budgetary scale. Properties range from independent hotels to all inclusive resorts. My favorite is Couples Resorts.
- Most of the hotel development is on Jamaica’s North Shore at Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril. Jamaica is home to many all-inclusive resorts, but also offers alternatives from locally owned properties to luxury villas.
- The mountainous interior of Jamaica provides an idyllic setting. The island’s Blue Mountains contain a wide variety of plant and animal life and ecotourism here is seeing a healthy interest.
- Contemporary Jamaican culture, epitomized by the music of Bob Marley, expresses the national pride in the island’s heritage.
- The English wrested Jamaica away from the Spanish in the mid-1600s and used the island as a base throughout the Caribbean. They permitted pirates to hold sway over some areas of the island like Port Royal to continue to threaten Spanish interests in the rest of the Caribbean.
- Jamaica has more churches per square mile than any other place in the world. Every denomination finds a home here, as well as Jews, Hindus, Muslims and Rastafarians.
- Most resorts and hotels will arrange for guided drives around the island for visitors. It is a great way to get off of the beaten path, see the real Jamaica, and to slowly acclimate to a side of the island not found behind the gates.
Contact Thunderbird Travel IL and start planning your Jamaica vacation.